Saturday, May 7, 2011

Animation Backgrounds

After watching "Alice in Wonderland" (1951) for three-thousandth time I was so in 'Ahh' at the work they did back then I started freeze - frame cels. The backgrounds alone were enough to getting anyone excited about painting.
Unlike animation, you can get a completed background painting done and feel like you spent your time well. You need paints, water, brushes, a drawing, the surface you choose to paint on and the idea. One 40 minute session can get you started on a lifetime pursuit painting today!



I Eric, recommends Ya all planning on having a 'mixing palette' or 'play painting area' to practice before diving into deep water. This will build your confidence and allow for a free environment. If painting an animated cartoon seems daunting, just start with only one painting and then just try not to paint anymore, you're guaranteed too fail!


HINT: I find I like working on "Three" paintings at one time, this way if I run into trouble deciding what to do and can hop around to a fresh area. Then after time has past, this allows me to go back and continue.



I am not suggesting you spent you entire day painting, but make an effort to commit to a specific time to go into your workshop to create, and continue to come back every other day and continue to pursue your dream painting.